"Wee Granny's Magic Bag" - Picture Book Commission

Beside "Getting Dressed" I illustrated another picture book recently for Picture Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books titled "Wee Granny's Magic Bag". The story is written by Elizabeth McKay and is really cute and entertaining. The book will be released 22nd September 2011, so it is again only the cover and the sample I can show you.


I do have a little story for you though about this very project. You surely remember my participation in the Sketchbook Project 2010. Well, this very project helped me land this commission. Amazing, I know!
I met with the editor at the Bologna Book Fair for lunch. It was so nice to meet her in person and give the name a face.
As we sat there in the itailan sunshine she told me that she had received my promomailer and as she liked the illustrations she went to my website, to have a look at what else I had to offer, as they were not interested in digitally created art. At the time I sent my first mailers out I only had a digital portfolio but also had a sketchbook section. When looking at my sketchbook pages she thought I might just be the right illustrator for the book. She asked me to do a sample illustration of a certain part of the story.
I did the sample and got the job!
I never would have thought that my sketchbook could land me a job, but it sure did.
It was a wonderful project and I will tell you and show you a little more about it, as soon as possible!
Until then I hope you enjoy the two pieces I can already share with you!

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations Maria... that is wonderful... and your illustrations are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so very much, Karla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great news.. you never know whats around the corner... where can i sign up for next years sketch book project haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Collette! I will certainly try to be part of this years Sketchbook Project again ^___^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Congrats Maria. Great story about landing the job and terrific illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story and illustrations! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you are on a roll! so great!!! excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Susanna! Everything is good right now, keeping fingers crossed it stays that way! Hope NY is good too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria

    Just thought I'd drop in to introduce myself and say thank you for the great illustrations for Wee Granny. I can't wait to see the finished version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elizabeth! Thank you so much for dropping by. It was wonderful bringing your story to life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So enchanting! I love your watercolors as much as your digital work. They certainly did get the right person for the job. Congratulations!!!!! That's a great story!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...