Back from the Frankfurt Book Fair 2011

The Frankfurt Book Fair was busy as every year but this time around, it was my second time attending the fair, I felt not as overwhelmed and swamped by all the impressions. It was exhausting though nonetheless and in the midst of all the busy running around and meeting people I nearly forgot to take pictures, so I don't have as many as I wished I had to share with you.


Apart from meeting the editors I worked with during this year, I also met some new ones and even took the chance of showing my portfolio in open hours some of the publishers held. It was all worth it as I landed a new book deal for next year and some other projects are in the making but it's just too early to talk about that now. I can only recommend taking the time and waiting in the cue to talk to the editors. Even if they feel your art might not fit the profile of their publishing house, they give you great feedback and somtimes hints who might just be your client. It is also a good way to make a nice and professional impression. Some of them even recognized my logo, so they got a face to the work they had already seen somewhere.

This year I even found the time to stop by the illustrators café and I saw my illustration up on the wall in the illustrators exhibition held this year for the very first time.



But the most amazing thing to happen at this Frankfurt Book Fair was getting my advance copy of the book I wrote, illustrated and even designed "Schlafplatz gesucht!". The print turned out so lovely and I am very pleased with the result. I don't know how many times I had to walk past the stand of my publisher and peek at "my book". It will be released in January 2012 by Bohem Press but the copies arrived just in time for the fair so my publisher had the chance to already present it there. Wooohoo, so exciting!



9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had loads of fun Maria :) what a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maria! Thanks for sharing your experience at the book fair. The whole thing comes really alive when some shares it with you. Thanks! Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Maria - I'm trying to pluck up courage to go to Bologna next year so it's great to hear that you had such a good experience at Frankfurt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! ^__^

    @Katriona: you should attend Bologna! It's such a wonderful fair and only the children's book publishers around, so slightly smaller than Frankfurt, but even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's so great Maria! I hope I can come next year. And congratulations on your bookdeal, that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Marloes! Hope to meet you in Bologna ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds so exciting, Maria! You made the most of your time there, which makes it even better! I would love to attend Bologna - wish I lived closer :o). Congrats on your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Susan! What a pity Bologna is too far away for you, but that's the reason I probably will never be able to attend the Summer SCBWI Conference ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm so glad you wrote about Frankfurt! I wasn't able to go and I loved seeing it through your eyes. And how exciting about your new deal! YAY!!!!!!!!!! *high five* *hugs* I'm so excited for you!

    AND PLEASE tell me when your newest book is available for purchase. I'd love to buy one! (But maybe I'll need to buy it through you so you can sign it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...