A Newspaper Article and An Award

On my way from hall 25 to hall 26 at the Bologna Book Fair my phone rang. I was so occupied with all the impressions at the fair that I didn't even answer the phone correctly expecting my children at the other end of the line anyway. But it wasn't them. I heard a woman's voice who introduced herself as a journalist from a local newspaper in my area, the Stuttgarter Zeitung. She asked me whether I was interested in doing an interview for a short coverage on how an illustrator works. I said yes I would certainly be interested, the only problem at hand being I wasn't in Germany but in Italy at that very moment. She said she would see whether they could postpone the article to a later date and we said goodbye for the moment.
When I already thought I had missed out on a great opportunity to promote my work locally she called me again the week after Bologna and we arranged a date for her to come and visit my home studio. I was quite nervous about it and hoped I would actually have something to tell her worth of a report. The interview was really great and the reporter Johanna Trommer made me feel at ease. In the course of our interview I found out she is actually a published author herself, so we had something to connect and talk about. Time flew and well, here it is (of course in German ;-)) my very first newspaper interview for the Stuttgarter Wochenende (it is on page 5).
Thanks so much Johanna Trommer for this great article. She really has a way with words, I tell you!

And I have some other very exciting news to share. Exciting for me also because it is the very first time a book I illustrated has won an award. (If you follow me on FB this might not be entirely new to you).
Yesterday the publisher Magination Press send me an email to let me know "Ben's Flying Flowers" has been awarded the Nautilus Silver Award! I am thrilled beyond words as you can imagine and very grateful to the people at Magination Press to have given me the opportunity to contribute to this fine story written by Inger Maier. The winners will be officially announced in May, so I might have to think up something to celebrate this in a proper manner ;-). What a week!


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the award! The article was great - thanks for sharing it. And good luck with your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie! Happy you enjoyed the article, keep forgetting you understand German :-). Thanks so much for your well wishes!

      Delete
  2. Hi Maria,
    Oh happy day! Congratulations on your award and the newspaper article. Wish I read German. :-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tracy! Would have been too much work and maybe even awkward to translate it ;-) ...

      Delete
    2. Oh don't worry. I wasn't suggesting that. I'm sure the article was fantastic and I see the illustrations sure are. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hello Maria, I am happy to read about both the article AND the award! Congratulations.
    Best wishes from Inga

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations for both the award and the article!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...