Home Decor Design - Learning new Things

Week two in Lilla's class was dedicated to home decor. A market, I have never worked for before and so many new things landed on my plate. Again we had an assignment, which was to design four plates that would go together as a collection.

As I mentioned in last weeks post, this course is not only about learning new markets but also to push yourself as an artist. So yes, there is a lot of experimenting involved, which is really just fun! I would love to work more traditionally and also explore ink and watercolor, but in a more loose style, than I do at the moment when it comes to picture books. Who knows, maybe it will transfer into my picture book work, but that is still something I have to see for myself.

What I do find hard though and really learned about me as an artist this week, is that working on "expensive" or fine art paper makes me kind of freeze. I just loose the looseness and get worried too much about my lines. So what I did is this:  I got a sketch book with really good paper and drew all my inky stuff into it to scan in later. Yes, I fooled myself, but believe it or not, it did work and I am happy about the results too. After a lot of inking I then did the watercolor bits on watercolor paper but just scribbled away without freezing. I also think keeping the watercolor bits kind of simple helped in not freezing up too. I'm loving those assignments and here you get a peek at my collection of floral plates!
Let's see where the next week in this course will take me!




8 comments:

  1. It is fun to read this Maria, and I am also recognizing that feeling of freezing.
    But your work turned out so lovely. I think it looks wonderful. Your choice of colour is also very fresh :)

    I am curious what you will do with the snail assignment haha.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miriam! Yes, the freezing is probably something many of us can relate too :-). I am already brewing and scribbling ideas for the next assignment! Look forward to seeing your piece too!!!

      Delete
  2. They've turned out beautiful! I will remember your antifreeze trick, I think it is a good idea. By the way I love that you are blogging about the Lilla Rogers class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pia! Hope to be able to share some more experiences that might come in handy :-)!

      Delete
  3. Hi Maria,
    I'm enjoying living through your course. The plates are again as I expected...beautiful.
    Keep up the super work. :-)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tracy! Happy you enjoy these posts and my assignments from Lilla's class :-)!

      Delete
  4. I love these plates! All different but in harmony for a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gaia! I am happy you like them! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...